PEOPLE BEING PEOPLE, THINGS GO WRONG, BAD STUFF HAPPENS
At OSACO we have long experience in how things go wrong with people in and around organisations—what we refer to as ‘human risk factors’—and what can be done to minimise their impact.
Organisations put all kinds of elaborate systems and mechanisms in place to regulate the behaviour of their employees. In reality though, and human nature being what it is, there’s often a big gap between how people are supposed to behave in their roles and how they actually behave in practice—whatever the motive. Things go wrong, often badly and with costly, highly damaging consequences.
At OSACO we call this the human risk factor, as distinct from market, economic, environmental or other types of risks that organisations face. Put simply: it’s the risk that things go wrong because people go wrong—the threat posed to organisations, their work, their value and reputation by human fallibility.
The good news is that in our experience, the vast majority of damaging human behaviour as it shows up in organisations is actually entirely predictable and in many cases entirely preventable.
And this is the core of our business at OSACO: we work with organisations of all kinds to improve their integrity and resilience towards the risks posed by the down sides of human behaviour.
WHEN BAD STUFF HAPPENS IN ORGANISATIONS...
...we notice a distinct pattern that shows up again and again, and it goes something like this.
Something goes wrong (or comes to light)—perhaps some form of serious staff misconduct or damaging activity. More often than not it’s something entirely predictable to outside observers, but for those within the organisation it comes out of the blue. The response is typically REACTIVE, caught on the back foot by the unexpected and unanticipated, and damage control tends to be the immediate priority.
Our aim is to lead clients away from this reactive state, through a progressive cycle of learning, fixing, improvement and anticipation—taking a PROACTIVE approach to human risk factors, or put another way, a move from the back foot to the front—greatly reducing the chances of the same or new problems occurring.
Everything we do at OSACO lives in this cycle.
EVERYTHING WE DO IS ABOUT LEARNING FROM IT, FIXING IT AND MAKING SURE IT DOESN’T HAPPEN AGAIN
At OSACO we’ve developed a simple model for working with clients to develop their organisational resilience to human risk factors, wherever they may find themselves within this cyclic pattern.
The services we offer form a natural progression, moving clients through a series of stages from initial assessments through investigations, remedial action projects and capacity building through to a full risk management strategy—although we can and often do become involved at any point in this cycle.
We find this model works extremely well in every kind of business and organisation we encounter, from multinational corporations to global humanitarian organisations, financial institutions and many more.
- organisation-wide oversight & compliance health checks
- proactive reviews & ‘as is’ assessments
- gaps analysis
- first response assessments & situation reporting
- preliminary investigations
- in-depth administrative & internal investigations; staff misconduct, fraud, theft, corruption, abuse of position, exploitation
- assist, mentor & support internal investigation teams
- IT forensics
- forensic accounting
- forensic scene examination & evidence handling
- in-depth reporting & recommendations
- root cause analysis
- in-depth evaluations—oversight & compliance structures, policies & procedures, operating models
- international standards compliance audit & analysis
- remedial programme planning
- project planning & consulting
- support & additional resourcing for internal teams & projects
- strategic audit planning
- international standards accreditation programmes
- capacity building
- specialist recruitment
- resource supplementation
- culture change initiatives
- documentation consulting & authoring—internal guidelines, SoPs, policies, procedures, documentation frameworks
- vulnerability & resilience assessments
- contingency planning & procedures development
- risk assessment studies
- risk co-ordination & management
- response action plans
- asset, brand & intellectual property protection strategies
- operational environment assessments